Two case studies are featured below – one involving Australia’s second largest Hospital Chain (Healthscope) and one involving the University of Wollongong
Healthscope Case Study
The screenshot below is taken from page 17 of the 2018 Healthscope Sustainability Report following their implementation of Med+Safe in 2015.
University of Wollongong (UOW) Case Study
(Pages 12-18 summarise the results).
Key Points from the trial include:
- Students were set an exam at a specific time and date during the exam period. The ten question Numeracy exam was undertaken online through the Med+Safe® programme with a first sit pass rate of 92%. Only one student failed and was supported through the academic consideration process and with remedial work to resit.
- In previous years a written ten question quiz was undertaken in the classroom with a first attempt pass rate of 60% (average across years). A great number of hours were then required to support students through remedial work and with resit opportunities for the tutors and the Subject Coordinator.
- Over 93% of respondents Agreed or strongly agreed that the Med+Safe online module helped improve understanding of both numeracy in general, medication calculation and of medication administration.
- More than 90% of respondents agreed or strongly agreed that the modules were engaging, accurately measured what they were learning, and 88.56 found the module to be authentic and real world. More than 88% of respondents agreed or strongly agreed that the modules; stimulated critical thinking; stimulated their interest in medication administration; were easy to navigate and easy to use; suited their learning style and enabled them to create an individual learner centred pathway using the activities and sections in the programme.
- Crucially – respondents strongly agreed (41.29%) or agreed (49.75%) that they felt more prepared for workplace experience through engaging in the Med+Safe module and over 94% of respondents felt more confident about medication administration.
“I found the software excellent, a great training tool, with great videos and gave you the break-down of incorrect answers to learn from.“